Saturday, October 10, 2009

Today and Yesterday



When I am not certain where to begin with I simply start with the present and the rest is recap.
I reside with my husband in the Greater Philadelphia region that covers a part of southern New Jersey...in short all I need is to cross river Delaware to enter Philly. Its a beautiful place like most parts of USA. I still remember my first visual of America..I had a flight from Heathrow to Chicago and the first time I spotted the 'land of opportunities' it was fall time, specifically Halloween. As I looked over the reds, browns and yellows the landscape was more like a painted canvas and all I could say was"wow"! There were never any fall colors back in India..fall in Kolkata (my hometown) was significant only by the end of a festival and beginning of another..will come to those later. There was ammmazing food throughout the year and winters was "pithe-payesh and cake" time for me.

I come from a very simple but loving family..never did I comprehend I would be in an International flight all by myself, never ever thought I could be fifteen thousand miles away from my parents. I was not over ambitious, I knew my limits and when I watched others around fly to the moon I was happy celebrating my Dad's birthday or give my mother a bear-hug:) The best part of being myself is I know how to be happy no matter where I am and what I do, although like everyone I have my bad moments..and lots of them. I guess I wasn't a bad student
topping in class, at times in College exams and although it hurts to see myself not doing what I deserve it isn't really that bad either as some people think.
I mean cummon, if you know you are a happy go lucky, lazy chimp you would be thrilled at the tiniest joy and you don't even want to make a list of your success and happiness and clarify cuz you know you are!
My journey from a small town in Bengal to Burlington has been a roller coaster ride not because I had a high profile but because I had a fairly low one..as I stand today spotting seagulls instead of crows, watching 30 Rock and not Ekhane akash neel, grabbing something from Burger King instead of Monginis (am sure any kolkattan reading this will know what am talking about) and zillions of more things to compare..I wonder many a times what I would be doing if I could run back "Home" right now.. missing people, every brick in my room, 'maacher jhol-bhaat' and even my toothbrush...I look into the mirror of today and this is what I literally find: I am here in my apartment writing this blog today but was actually shopping conches and shells in Andaman a year ago..!

1 comment:

  1. A journey is always a journey I believe and needn't be defined as big or small, high profile or low key, because it always is something that adds a dimension to you. Its great to find you are so very at home and satisfied with your life, enjoying your 'little' moments to the fullest. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete