Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Colors of Life..one of them being foggy.


" When I bring to you colored toys, my child,
I understand why there is such a play of colors on clouds, on water,
and why flowers are painted in tints
---when I give colored toys to you, my child.

Like the poet describes every fold of color he sees around, we see it as well in our life. I have always wanted to take some time out and talk about some usual and unusual colors of life..today, I speak of one..

I remember the time when I sat on the banks of the beautiful Ganges and saw the setting Sun..I also remember the moments I couldn't take my eyes off the golden fire-ball, setting on the horizon, while I sat speechless at Lake Ontario. To me, it doesn't matter where you watch an event what matters more is with whom you're watching it.. I, for instance, wouldn't love to be there alone.

I know people who love to be all by themselves, love to wander, speak to nature when alone..We are a loner often, so why be in solitude when you can have company? As far as I am concerned, the moments when I like to be left to myself is when I am really upset about something. When I say 'leave me alone' I don't always mean it literally...on the contrary, it actually means 'do not leave..I need you even more now'. Has this happened with you too?

Again, like everything else, solitude is a choice..often we choose to be alone..sometimes it indulges in a birth of a poem or a song, at others it's a time to reflect, talk to one self, look back at the things done and the things you are about to do..sometimes it's about confronting anger, disappointment or even desire. I often wonder how some people find it blissful to be in the lap of nature all by themselves..no, not all are sad souls, not all are struck with grief..
Some say, it brings out the best in you, paints the most beautiful portrait you could ever create with your brush. If creativity is re-born in solitude, so be it. All we long for, are intense hues..we want to be and are infact, surrounded by the colors of life. I hate greys and blacks when it comes to living with the essence of life..but many a times these are the two shades that encase us all the more.

Today, I give solitude a color of it's own- 'foggy'. Why, because at moments when we see the sunlight through the fog in a valley, we exclaim with fascination. At another instance you curse your fate for having to drive in a dense fog. Solitude is somewhat like that..there are times you fall in love with it for having showered you with loads of imagination, concentration and peace of mind, more like a 'meaningful alone time'.
And of course there are times when you feel like singing:

"Bad fog of loneliness
Put a cloud on my single-mindedness
I dream of sweet caress
From you."

What's your shade for solitude? Let's talk...


*pic: one of my sketches, courtesy-my solitude ;)







8 comments:

  1. Another very nice post. I especially liked the place where you mention
    "Today, I give solitude a color of it's own- 'foggy'. Why, because at moments when we see the sunlight through the fog in a valley, we exclaim with fascination. At another instance you curse your fate for having to drive in a dense fog."
    It is so much true. Solitude nibbles out our souls, we pine for company, get frustrated and die spiritual death...yet that's when we are reborn; just like a phoenix from its own ashes and bring out the best within ourselves.
    We humans are very much like eggs ;)
    When an egg is broken by an outside force, it ends the life. Yet, if it breaks from inside, a new life is born. In a similar way, we evolve into more refined beings once we break the barriers from inside come out in our full form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So thoughtfully written as all of your posts are Sanchita. I like being alone most of the day while I work, although most of my work consists of interacting with others. At night I love being out with my friends. Hoping all is well and happy with you!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Antara- your comment itself was a mini-blog and I liked your thought! Thanks:)
    @Mary Jo-Thank you again..I understand for you getting that alone-time for work is necessary but again as you pointed out spending time with friends and family becomes essential too..we all need to breathe :-) Everything's fine at my end, thanks so much for asking. Wishing you well too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thumbs up! For me it works both ways I remember places because of people and sometimes because I was there alone. There is a different rush in being the alone in a place, in a moment, it almost ties itself to you, its yours and that is great. Sometimes that is followed by a rush to share at other times you fold it in a packet of neurons and keep, for yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a lovely post. I love the idea of "foggy" as being a color -- very appropriate, especially for solitude. I know how you feel. And isn't it funny how we often say the exact opposite of what we mean when we're angry?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @P-yeah that is very true..but as I said I dnt prefer to keep my neurons in a bundle for myself..nowadays am usually alone most part of the day that I kind of hate the thought of it..

    @Brandi-Thanks for visiting :) Absolutely..we do say the exact opposite!! by the way I hope your convention went well..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved reading it dear..it had actually made me realise how much i love this "meaningful alone time"..it is when i dont fake my existance ..i am at my devil's best...
    rgds
    sampurna

    ReplyDelete