Thursday, February 18, 2010

Don't leave it to your lizard brain..

There is something about me which I've always despised..Inconsistency. When I started writing my own blog I wanted to write a lot..so much about myself..my life..but I ended up reading other people's blogs more during this time.. I apologise to the 'inner me'..It struggles so hard with the 'outer me' and is often so upset to loose..I wish I could do something about it..

I wish I could quiet the 'Lizard Brain'..guess what, a few weeks back I read this amazing post by Seth Godin (I absolutely love the compositions of this genius). He talks about the irrationality of human behaviour. Our contradictions never end when we say we want something and end up doing something totally different..

"When an athlete just does the sport, or when a writer just writes the words, we can't help but watch, astonished at the purity of their actions. Why is it so difficult to do what we say we're going to do?

The lizard brain.."

In another words it's the resistance as Seth describes, that tells us to back off many a times. It's like struggling with a gator and not winning..Perhaps not writing for so long has been a judgement given by my lizard brain..

The lizard brain as I have come to know of is our 'old brain' that sits at the base of the skull above our spine. My friends studying evolution might know this better. It's a part of the brain that plays the survival strategy, warns us, makes us compromise with situations, with people. Now, I think..for all those times when I refused to do something or may be adapt to something more easier/convenient in life..maybe I should blame it all on my lizard brain..OR is it just another excuse for all the resistance??

Talking of adjustments..for several days I had an eye on a popular restaurant in the vicinity. Loved their website and the ambience..I even overlooked the over priced menu and kept finding excuses to dine there. Finally I did so..and to my astonishment I discovered that most of the food we ordered, was awful! I have laughed over it...trust me I did. But deep down I felt embarassed, ashamed of wanting to be somewhere so much and not expecting what I have been so far..More so, cuz I had to make the choice with the restaurant tonight. So..where is the adjustment? well.. covering it all up with a laughter, a good sense of humor and saying..yeah..we DO need to gain experiences of all kind...good and bad. So..well..it was uh..huh..Cummmon...guess it's just one of those times when I kind of curse myself for making a wrong choice. This is a petty incident..bt that just got me thinking..all over again!

Lizard Brain or not..there is always a Choice.. Don't leave it to the reptile..leave it to the chromosomes that are all human :)




4 comments:

  1. Well choices are hard things. Harder still is to live by your choices or worse to accept that you went wrong and then to change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah..even Barbara Hall said "Because you are in control of your life. Don't ever forget that. You are what you are because of the conscious and subconscious choices you have made."

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad you are writing again.........loved your post.
    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soma, that coming from you means a lot..really!

    ReplyDelete